I have never been a morning person. If I could sleep a day away, or even just lie in bed daydreaming in my comfy blankets all day, I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, life does not often leave room for such a frivolous activity and the large stack of bills every month require what the kids like to call a “day job.” So…off to work I go Monday through Friday, which means I have to wake up early, whether I’m crabby about it or not.
I prefer to not be crabby. Therefore, I had to come up with a few ways to put some pep in my step and increase my overall tolerance for the morning routine. When I was in high school, Little Sister and I solved this problem by sharing a can of Coke before school and jamming out to Bone Thugs N’ Harmony, B.I.G. aaaaaand Hanson. Whatever works, right?! Well now I’m incredibly sophisticated and mature so even though Hanson hasn’t totally been replaced (I can’t change who I am!), the Coke had to go. But what can we do instead????
Below are a list of some of the ways I’ve learned to bring more happiness to the dreaded workday mornings:
1) Workout video – assuming I’ve gotten the proper amount of sleep (because the most important thing for a fresh start is enough sleep), I like to wake up a little early and get in a 30-60 minute workout video before jumping in the shower to get energized and be done with exercise for the day. Some of my favorites are instructed by Jillian Michaels, Brooklyn Decker, Tracey Anderson or even Wii Dance Party!
2) Speakal iPig 2.1 Stereo iPod Docking Station with 5 Speakers – These adorable pig speakers (which also comes in Panda!) have truly brightened my mornings. You just insert your iPod, put on your playlist and tap the little ears to make it louder or softer. Aaaand it’s also adorable. I put on my music (Hanson and the like) and my bath/dressing/makeup/hair routine has instantly gotten more fun!
3) Grapefruit oil – Nothing wrong with a little aroma therapy! Citrus flavors are known to wake up our brains, so I dab a little essential oil behind my ears and on my wrists and I instantly feel more awake!
4) Hamilton Beach personal blender – I’m always running out the door in a hurry, so sitting down for a big breakfast is never really an option. The perfect solution is a personal blender. It was incredibly cheap and takes about five minutes total for a delicious smoothie. The only prep is cutting stems off strawberries or peeling a banana. Throw in your favorite fruits, some milk and a few ice cubes and hit the button and go! The blender is even portable so you can take it on the road! It’s also easy to clean. So perfect for the person on the move!
5) Keurig coffee maker – I don’t have one of these at home but we have one at work and it’s genius. Throw in any flavor you want and push a button and five seconds later, you have your own single cup of coffee. This one is a life saver in the mornings.
Forgive the product placement, I was not paid to show these labels, I just love them this much! Hope these recommendations make all your mornings a little brighter.